Bleeding gums are a very common problem that usually suffer, those people who do not follow proper dental hygiene. Although this disorder may be a sign of a more serious illness, it is usually due to excess plaque or plaque on the gum line.
Bleeding gums is a problem that should be treated immediately because, in case of not doing so, it can lead to other conditions such as gingivitis or even periodontitis. In addition to recommending that you go to the dentist, we teach you how to cure bleeding gums with a series of remedies and changes in your oral hygiene.
Causes of bleeding gums
Although the most common cause of bleeding gums is the buildup of dental plaque on them due to poor hygiene, it could also be a symptom of having other dental health problems. These are the possible causes of bleeding gums:
- Gingivitis or inflammation of the gums.
- Brushing very brusque teeth.
- Apparatus of teeth or other prosthesis misplaced.
- Incorrect use of dental threads.
- Hormonal changes, especially in pregnancy.
- Scurvy (vitamin D deficiency).
- Vitamin K deficiency
Bleeding inside our mouth can also be caused by other disorders that have nothing to do with our teeth such as the following: genetic factors, leukemia, diabetes, heart disease and / or coagulation disorder.
Proper use of the toothbrush
One of the simplest ways to avoid this problem in the gums is making proper use of the toothbrush. Sometimes we think that by brushing the tooth enamel with great force, we will make it cleaner. However, the only thing we will achieve is to make the gums bleed worse. If you want to improve your oral hygiene, follow these tips on brushing teeth:
- Choose a brush with soft bristles, since it is the most correct option for those mouths that are more sensitive and tend to bleed.
- Wash your teeth twice a day properly: avoid sudden movements and make soft circles with the brush in all the places of your teeth.
- Consider using an electric toothbrush, as it better removes tartar buildup.
- If you have very sensitive teeth, you need to brush more gently (almost like giving a massage) the areas that bleed most often.
- Try that the dental brushing lasts more than 3 minutes.
Add dental floss to your oral hygiene
The flossing once a day canprevent many dental problems, including bleeding of our enamel. But first, we must what kind of thread to use and how to use it properly:
- Floss can be of two types: with or without wax. If you have never used this utensil, it is preferable that you choose with wax, as they are softer and prevent damage to the tissues of the gums and, consequently, their bleeding.
- There are also several models according to the interdental spaces: we can find the thread for normal spaces; the tape for larger spaces; and the super floss, specific for cleaning orthodontics.
- If you want to floss properly, you should hold it in a U-shape, so that it is taut and slide it gently up and down between the dental holes. It is important that to avoid slipping and hitting the gum by damaging it, when you make the gesture of introducing the thread between the teeth, do it by pressing lightly towards one of the two teeth, on the side, instead of directly towards the gum.
- Do not force the floss of teeth, since you could cut the gums and, consequently, increase the bleeding.
Mouth rinses for bleeding gums
Another way to improve your oral hygiene and, in addition, to reduce the bleeding in the gums, is to use rinses with natural ingredients after brushing teeth. In this article, we recommend the following homemade rinses that you can make yourself at home:
- Rinse with water and salt: has antibacterial properties that prevent the development of these microorganisms and also relieve inflammation and sensitivity of the gums.
- Mouthwash lemon: this food is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antiseptic so its juice is recommended to treat different problems in the enamel and gums.
- Alovera gel: it is a plant with analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, so it is very effective to relieve swelling and bleeding gums.
- Sodium bicarbonate rinse: this compound, besides being a powerful bleach, is a very effective product for possible inflammations in the buccal area due to its antiseptic properties.
- Clove essential oil: can be used to gargle, as it contains soothing properties, which relieve pain caused by bleeding gums, and antifungal and antibacterial properties, which eliminate the buildup of dental plaque and tartar and help to prevent infections mouths
Other recommendations to cure bleeding gums
In addition to taking into account all that has been commented so far, it is good to also have present other tips on how to cure gum bleeding and prevent it, such as the following:
- Try to follow a richer and healthier diet. Avoid sugars and increase the consumption of foods rich in vitamins (especially vitamins C, D and K).
- If you are a smoker, consider quitting tobacco because this product increases gum inflammation and periodontal diseases.
- Increase water consumption. Try to drink 8 glasses of water daily to prevent the accumulation of bacteria and tartar.
- Visit, even once a year, a specialist to check the health of your teeth.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the faculty to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We advise you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to how to cure bleeding gums, we recommend you to visit our category of Family Health.